PDA

View Full Version : Make skill cd's not be affected by latency

Rose
12-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Ok, this has been bugging me for quite a while, so I've finally decided to make a thread about it. As we are all aware of, this server has players from all over the world, as so, a significant number of players have at least some connection latency to the server, due to the distance. This would be fine, but the way the game handles skill cooldowns is less than ideal, and causes issues at high latency. Basically, gcd (global cooldown) is not being affected by latency at all, and starts when you press the skill button, but the actual skill's cooldown is being affected, and starts after however long your latency time is.

To show you what I mean, here is a series of screenshots of the skill bar on my gunslinger, doing the skill aimed shot, which has a 0.8 second gcd and a 1.5 second cd with my stats (note, I have around 400ms latency):

Just after the skill button has been pressed (aimed shot is on the top left corner, on key H):
http://i.imgur.com/WzcNQww.jpg

Just before the skill actually registers with the server:
http://i.imgur.com/pz2cifn.jpg

Just after the actual skill cd has begun:
http://i.imgur.com/Mea47yA.jpg

As you may imagine this puts skill rotations into jeopardy, especially for certain classes that rely on spamming one or two skills over and over (bard, wiz). So my suggestion is to make skill cooldowns behave exactly the same as gcd's and start when the skill button is pressed, so as to not put players with high latency at an unnecessary disadvantage. I don't really know if this is something that's even possible to do, but, all I ask is that it be considered, since I know quite a lot of players have latency, this being an international server.

Myanya
12-08-2014, 06:09 AM
You can't fix latency. The only thing you can do maybe is by using stuffs like WTFast that reduces your ping. Since the server is located in London the best thing you can do is move there. That's why games like Dota 2 which depends a lot on latency for smoothness gameplay has multiple servers located on different part of the world.

Dawn1123
12-08-2014, 06:13 AM
gcd stands for global cooldown, not general.

I have no input for the rest of the thread as I've never bothered to look, even though I have 350 ping myself.

Rose
12-08-2014, 07:38 AM
You can't fix latency. The only thing you can do maybe is by using stuffs like WTFast that reduces your ping. Since the server is located in London the best thing you can do is move there. That's why games like Dota 2 which depends a lot on latency for smoothness gameplay has multiple servers located on different part of the world.

I'm not suggesting to change/fix latency itself, but rather how cooldowns are processed server side. I've played games where cooldowns are client sided and don't depend on latency whatsoever and even the gcd on Aura Kingdom is also client sided that's why I thought it might be possible for something like this to be implemented. Sorry for the confusion.

gcd stands for global cooldown, not general.

I have no input for the rest of the thread as I've never bothered to look, even though I have 350 ping myself.

Sorry I remembered it wrong. Fixed, thanks.